PREP: 5 Minutes
COOK: 2 Minutes
TOTAL: 7 Minutes
Sookju namul, or Korean mung bean sprout salad, is one of the most popular side dishes you're likely to find in Korea. It's fresh, delicious, healthy, and it's easy to make. It is also versatile, complementing almost any Korean meal.
While some people argue that uncooked bean sprouts provide a better crunch, Korean bean sprouts traditionally are blanched in boiling water just long enough to cook them slightly, but not long enough to make them mushy and unpalatable. Watch the bean sprouts closely and don't get distracted, since even an extra 30 seconds of parboiling can destroy their crispness.
INGREDIENTS FOR BEAN SPROUT SALAD
- 1/2 pound mung bean sprouts, rinsed thoroughly
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- It’s also possible to use other sprouted beans for your Korean bean salad. Sprouted soybeans are commonly used, although you will need to blanch them longer than your mung bean sprouts (4 – 5 minutes, as opposed to 2 minutes).
- You may find the best Korean bean salad which is made with mung bean sprouts. Which perfectly complement the light sesame, garlic, and scallion sauce.
Author l Sharon