COOK: 15 Minutes
TOTAL: 30 Minutes
A Korean scallion pancake is called pa Jun (or Pajeon). A favorite at restaurants, this recipe will show you how easy it is to make at home. Pa Jun is made with a batter of flour, eggs, salt, and water. It works as a hearty snack, appetizer, or a side dish for a Korean meal.
As with many recipes and dishes, you can tweak it to your taste—many people have their own delicious versions of pa jun. It's frankly difficult to make a bad batch of scallion pancakes. They work well with many different vegetables and even with different ratios of batter to scallions. In other words, you can modify this recipe to include more batter and fewer scallions, or vice versa. It's very forgiving.
INGREDIENTS FOR PA JUN (PANCAKE WITH SCALLIONS)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch scallions, green and white parts; halved lengthwise and cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- Soy sauce (or spicy dipping sauce), for serving
- Add thinly sliced red Chile Peppers and white onions to the Pa Jun.
- Carrots, Kimchi, Mushrooms, and Zucchini are also popular additions to Korean Scallion Pancakes.
Author l Sharon