Korean cuisine has been gaining global recognition for its bold flavors and unique dishes. While many people are familiar with Korean barbecue, kimchi, and bibimbap, Korean snacks remain a hidden gem waiting to be discovered.
Let’s explore 10 must-try Korean snacks that showcase the diversity and deliciousness of Korean culinary culture.
From sweet to savory check out our blog and everything in between, get ready to embark on a flavorful journey through Korean snacks.
Honey Butter Almonds
Korean Seaweed Snacks
Bungeoppang (Fish-Shaped Pastry)
Yakgwa is a traditional Korean sweet made by deep-frying wheat flour dough, and then dipping it in honey or syrup. These delicate, flower-shaped pastries are often enjoyed during festive occasions and are known for their unique combination of crunchy and syrupy textures.
Jolly Pong (Honey Butter Snack)
Jolly Pong is a beloved Korean snack that features puffed rice and corn, coated in a delectable honey butter glaze. The combination of sweet and savory flavors, along with its satisfying crunch, has made Jolly Pong a favorite among snack enthusiasts of all ages.
Hotteok is a popular Korean street food that resembles a sweet pancake. The dough is filled with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped nuts, creating a gooey and aromatic center. These delightful treats are cooked to perfection, resulting in a crispy exterior and a warm, sugary inside.
Honey Butter Chips
Exploring Further: Hidden Gems in Korean Snacking
While we've highlighted these 10 must-try Korean snacks, the world of Korean snacks is vast and full of surprises. Here are a few more delightful snacks to explore:
- (Glutinous Rice Cake): These chewy rice cakes are often coated with various toppings like soybean powder or sweet syrup.
- Odeng (Fish Cake Skewers): A popular street food, odeng features fish cakes skewered on sticks and served with a savory broth.
- Samanco Ice Cream: A unique ice cream sandwich where a fish-shaped waffle encases a layer of ice cream and sweet red bean paste.
- Saewookkang (Shrimp Chips): Thin, crunchy chips made from ground shrimp that come in various flavors like original, spicy, and garlic.
- Binch (Korean Pancakes): These savory pancakes are made with ingredients like scallions, seafood, or kimchi, and they're pan-fried to crispy perfection.
Exploring Korean snacks is not just about satisfying your taste buds; it's a culinary adventure that allows you to discover the rich and diverse flavors of Korea's snack culture. Whether you enjoy sweet, savory, or somewhere in between, Korean snacks have something for everyone. From the sweet and sticky goodness of hotteok to the savory crunch of tteokbokki chips, each snack offers a unique taste that reflects Korea's rich culinary heritage. You won't be disappointed! So, grab a few of these delicious treats and immerse yourself in the wonderful world of Korean snacking!