Prep: 12 Minutes
Cook: 15 Minutes
Total: 27 Minutes
Quick, easy, and cheap to make, Kimchi Bokumbap is simple Korean home cooking at its best. This recipe is humble food that is mostly enjoyed at home, but you might also see it in some casual Korean eateries. Using Kimchi that's made with Napa cabbage is a good choice for this recipe, and making Kimchi fried rice is a great way to use leftover Kimchi that's a bit past its prime and sourer than fresh Kimchi. It is actually what helps make this dish special. Most Koreans enjoy Kimchi every day of the year. Kimchi is rich in vitamins and minerals and makes for an extremely healthy food choice.
INGREDIENTS FOR KIMCHI BOKUMBAP (KIMCHI FRIED RICE)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter or oil (divided)
- 1 cup Kimchi (preferably the kind made with Napa cabbage; drained and chopped)
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 oz. thinly sliced beef, such as tenderloin
- 3 cups cold cooked rice
- Salt (to taste)
- 4 fried eggs
- 1 scallion, chopped
INGREDIENTS VARITATION TIPS
- Instead of Beef, you can use Pork, Ham, Bacon, Canadian Bacon, or every spam. If using American Bacon, first sauté briefly in a large un-greased pan and omit the butter when adding the garlic and soy sauce.
- Some recipes for Kimchi fried rice use chicken baby Shrimp as the protein source, so don’t be afraid to experiment once you’ve got the basic recipe mastered.
- Kimchi fried rice can also be made vegetarian by substituting Tofu squares for the Pork, Beef, Chicken, or Shrimp .
- If you like more spice, try adding Korean pepper flakes (GOCHUGARU) and Korean chili paste (GOCHUJANG)
Author l Sharon